Please check this page frequently. We will continue to update this page as more questions arise.
1. What is a MusiCounts Band Aid Grant?
The MusiCounts Band Aid Grant is an instrument grant provided to school music programs in Canada that have great potential yet are in need of funding to ensure their sustained growth.
2. Who is it awarded to?
Band Aid Grants are awarded to public (elementary, secondary and separate) schools in Canada.
3. How do I get an application form?
The application is online and can be found on our website www.musicounts.ca during the application time period. If you prefer a physical copy, please contact Noreen Malazo at email@example.com
4. I am a parent council member. Can I apply for this grant on behalf of my school?
Yes. Anyone can apply for the grant on behalf of the school, however, please make sure the music teacher and the principal at the school are aware that you will be submitting this application.
5. I am a music teacher and I teach at two schools. Can I apply on behalf of both schools?
Yes. A separate application must be submitted for each school music program.
6. How are schools selected?
Schools are selected based on economic need; inventory and condition of instruments; number of students; dedication of school staff; and overall impact the grant would make within the school community.
7. When is the deadline for applications?
The 2013-2014 Band Aid Grant applications begin September 9 – November 8, 2013 at 5pm EST.
8. How much funding is available?
MusiCounts Band Aid Grants are awarded in $5,000 and $10,000 allotments. The total amount of grants given out depend on the program budget each year.
9. What can we use this grant for? Can we use this grant to pay our music teacher’s salary?
No, this grant cannot pay for teacher’s salaries, travel costs, etc. The MusiCounts Band Aid grant can only be used for instrument purchases. A percentage of the grant can be used to purchase music stands, sheet music and other instrument requirements such as reeds, guitar strings, instrument cleaners, etc.
10. I have an ORFF program, can I apply for a grant?
Yes! Our grants are for musical instruments and are not limited to only brass. You can apply for different programs including Concert Band, Marching Band, Orff, Orchestra, Choir, Strings, etc.
11. When will the recipients be announced?
The recipients will be announced early 2014.
12. What happens if I receive a grant?
Congratulations! We ask that you submit up to a maximum of 3 quotes from your preferred suppliers. Once we approve them, we contact your suppliers to have the instruments shipped to you directly and we take care of the invoices. We also ask our recipients to keep us up-to-date on their program and submit stories and photos!
13. My school has previously received a grant under a different instructor. Can we apply again?
Yes- the grant is provided to the school, rather than the individual teacher. However, due to the limited number of grants available every year, schools that have received a grant in the last 5 years are ineligible. You can apply again after the 5 year period.
14. I’ve applied in the past and was not successful. Do you have any tips?
Due to the number of applications we receive every year, the need in our schools surpasses the funding available. Please see our TIPS section to help you in your application process.
15. How do I know that MusiCounts received my application?
Once you submit your application online, you will receive an email stating that we have received it.
16. Help! I’ve already submitted my application but I want to add more information.
Please submit any additional documents to firstname.lastname@example.org. You must submit this PRIOR to the deadline.